Oct. 30, 2010
Contact: Dan Hendrick, (212) 361-6350 ext. 206
Record of Accomplishment,
Strong Plan for Clean-Energy Future
NEW YORK --- The New York League of Conservation Voters, which works to elect leaders who make environmental sustainability a top priority, today announced its endorsement of Andrew Cuomo for Governor.
In announcing its support for Mr. Cuomo's candidacy, NYLCV pointed to an impressive record of environmental leadership that began at the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development and continues to this day at the Office of New York Attorney General. Mr. Cuomo has also articulated a pragmatic, forward-thinking sustainability agenda that focuses on reviving New York's economy through smart growth and clean energy.
"New York State is at a crossroads. We need a governor who will help restore faith in government, fix broken agencies and help transition New York to a thriving innovation economy," said Marcia Bystryn, president of the New York League of Conservation Voters. "Throughout his career in public service, Andrew Cuomo has demonstrated his commitment to greater environmental sustainability. And he has a fiscally prudent plan to help New York become the nation's leader in solar, wind and other renewable power. Andrew Cuomo is the right choice for New York's environment, and we are proud to endorse him for governor."
Here are a just a few highlights of Andrew Cuomo's longtime commitment to advancing environmental policies:
- As HUD Secretary, Cuomo expanded the agency's portfolio to include environmental protection and planning for the first time in its history.
- During his tenure at HUD, Cuomo's team designed the Brownfields Economic Development Initiative to reduce environmental contamination while stimulating economic growth and improving waterfront areas.
- Under Cuomo's guidance, the Office of New York Attorney General has been a national leader in the fight against climate change - helping to reduce greenhouse gas emission from cars, requiring major energy companies to fully disclose the risks that climate change poses to their investors, and opposing coal-fired power plants that rely on outdated technologies.
Among the highlights of Andrew Cuomo's environmental and energy agenda are:
- Targeting government investment to maximize innovation and environmental benefit.
- Making energy efficiency programs affordable.
- Building the smart grid to empower citizens to reduce their energy costs and increase efficiency.
- Supporting and fostering the growth of clean-tech businesses as well as onshore and offshore wind projects.
- Creating a renewable energy tax credit to stimulate investment in solar energy.
- Enacting a new fuel-neutral power plant generation siting law that provides fast-track review and approval for efficient power plants.
The New York League of Conservation Voters (NYLCV) was founded in 1989 as a nonpartisan, policy making and political action organization that works to make environmental protection a top priority with elected officials, decision makers, and voters by evaluating incumbent performance and endorsing and electing environmental leaders to office in New York State.